Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I'm Still Living!

For the record, I have not fallen off the face of the planet. Nor did I die tragically while on my weekend trip to Jinju, Jirisan, and Jindo. I appologize for the five day delay in posting, but I have been one very busy young lady!

I did not get back from my weekend travels until 6:30 am on Tuesday! Then, I was so busy trying to get my Philippine vacation booked that I could not find time to post any entries until now. And, I am sorry to say, this one isn't going to be very brilliant. I'll have to post about the weekend travels tomorrow (with some great pictures, I promise).

Yesterday and today have both been rather hectic. I still haven't completely unpacked from the trip, although I did manage to throw my clothes in the washer. I have been busy with lesson plans and such, plus my travel arrangements for this summer have required a great deal of attention.

I got my flights booked yesterday, and today I managed to get a great deal on a hotel for my three days in Manila. I still need to book my overnight stay on Corregidor and my three days in Bataan. I am thinking that with only one week to spend in the Philippines, it is wisest to stick to Luzon and not try to hit any other islands. The things I want to see most are all on Luzon anyway, so it isn't any great loss to me.

I can't believe that I'll be twenty-four in only eleven days (okay, technically twelve because I was born in a different time zone)! I don't feel that old! I think I acted older when I was in high school, and now I'm having my fun years. At any rate, I'm a bit shocked at my birthday coming so soon, but nonetheless happy about it. I don't see any point in getting depressed over getting older - in my case it just means that each year I can do more and more things on my own. Only one more year until I can rent a car in my own name and take a cruise alone! Oh, and get cheaper insurance, if/when I own a car again.

Turning twenty-four means that I've been out of college for two years now, and out of high school for six. Wow! I don't know where the time has gone! It also means that I have been infatuated with history for fifteen years now (ever since the most awesome fourth grade teacher in the world). How many people can maintain an obscession for that long?! On the whole, I'm rather looking forward to my twenty-fourth year.

2 comments:

kmbrly said...

Awesome Pics little cousin. Aunt Diane told me about you blog and I just had a minute to come check it out. I think it's fabulous that you are having this experience. Be safe, have fun! I'll drop you a line in a couple of weeks when I'm done with my test. Love, Kimberly

Stephanie said...

Hey Kim! So awesome to hear from you! I'll be posting some more great shots soon; I just need to motivate myself to get them off the camera and sort through them. Might take a few more days. ;)

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"