Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Recent Exploits of Sir Jasper the Strange

I'm not sure whether to classify my dog as "very creative" or "not very bright." All of my readers, of course, are familiar with his box fetish (or rather, box-on-head fetish). Lately, he has adopted a few other unusual habits:

For some reason, Jasper thinks that my bathroom is the most fascinating place in the world. Every time I want to take a shower, I have to chase him out! In the evenings, Jasper likes to nap in the shower area, or to stare at the toilet and whine mournfully (I'm not sure if he's sad because he's too short to drink from it, or if it somehow disturbs him). As soon as I let Jasper out when I get home in the evenings (I pen him up in my entryway when I'm gone), his first course of action after thoroughly welcoming me is to examine the bathroom inch by inch, apparently to make sure that nothing has changed since he last made rounds.

Jasper never begs for food (I'm sure this will be subject to change once he meets Mom and Dad's dogs), but I do occasionally give him small table scraps. The other night, I discovered that Jasper loves lettuce. I noticed him giving an usual amount of attention to the large leaves that I was wrapping my sam-gip-sal in, so I let him have one, curious to see what he would do with it. My little boy did not disappoint. After sniffing the leaf carefully and completely, he frolicked about the apartment with it, growling "ferociously" and shaking it assiduously (I suppose to make sure it was dead), before finally laying across my feet to consume his plunder.

Jasper currently has a new favorite toy that he plays with for hours each day, and occasionally sleeps with. Since this is Jasper we're talking about, this new toy obviously isn't anything usual like a teddy bear or a bone. No, my Jasper is currently crazy about a small pink (disposable) plastic spoon that I dropped the other night, and have not had the heart to take away. It may be accompanying him on the plane ride to the USA, if he doesn't break it before then. He was pretty cute last night, running about the apartment quite happily, with a spoon sticking out of his mouth. I'll try to get a picture later this week and post it.

I guess I just have a knack for picking unusual dogs!

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"