Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Demonic Chick from You-Know-Where

The other night, as I was working on trying to unpack some more of the cardboard jungle that I am currently living in (yes, my stuff is here at last, thanks to Dad), I got tired of Jasper's "assistance." So, I found a toy and gave it to him to amuse himself with. The particular toy that I picked was one of those cute yellow toy chicks that chirp when you hold them in your hand. I figured it should keep the pup busy for a bit. I had no idea what I was getting into...

At first, Jasper and the chick made a very adorable pair. He would pick it up, and the warmth from his mouth would make it chirp. Startled, he would drop it and jump back, whimper or growl at it, and then grab it again and repeat the process. Then he finally went for the thing's head and gave it a good chomp. After a few more minutes of raucous play, the chick was broken, and would no longer stop chirping.

After half an hour of incessant cheeping, Jasper and I had both had it with the chick. He hid under the bed, and I took the opportunity to cease the annoying toy and attempt to end its chirpiness. I bashed it on the counter, figuring it would break (I did, after all, get it at the dollar store a few years ago). No luck - in fact, it actually starting cheeping even more! I tried submerging it under water - the cheeping continued. I submerged it again, and then again, each time for longer periods of time. Still the apparently-possessed creature persisted in it reign of cheepiness. I began to grow very frustrated.

Finally, in desperation, I stuck the chick in the freezer. For the next hour, I continued to hear a very faint, yet still aggravating, cheeping coming from the kitchen. The thing refused to die! I put Jasper to bed and then headed for my room and closed the door. Ahhh, silence at last.

The next morning, I rejoiced to find that the chick was now silent. I threw it in the trash, started preparing my breakfast, and then...cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep. The chick had sprung back to "life" and was now happily filling my previously pleasant morning with a shower of high-pitched chirps. I put up with it while eating, and then headed for school, resisting the urge to pray for divine intervention. On the way home that night, I worried that I may arrive to find a fresh round of cheeps awaiting me. God, however, is merciful. The demonic chick had at last passed on. I took out the trash and whistled a merry tune, glad that the chick was finally (and permanently) silent.

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"