Thursday, May 6, 2010

Homeopathic Migraine Remedies

Since I have been on a regular migraine-safari for the past few weeks (mostly owing to my neck issue, which has suddenly decided to flare up), I have been experimenting with different methods for easing some of the intense constant pain. I know that there are many fellow migraine-sufferers out there, so I thought I would share some of my techniques.

To begin with, the second I feel a migraine coming on, I immediately dose with my prescription migraine meds. Since those are incapable of getting rid of all of the pain, I use the following methods to help further:

1. The best thing that I have found is a hot bath with no lights on in the bathroom. I put just a little bit of lavender body wash in the water, since lavender is soothing. I bring a hot cup of tea in with me, preferably camomile, although peach, mango, and peppermint tea are all quite soothing as well. Vanilla tea seems to have an adverse effect. I sip the tea slowly while stretching out in the tub. I take intermittent deep breaths. Then, about halfway through the tea, I submerge my face under the water, holding my breath for as long as possible. I come up for air, then repeat a few more times. After that, I finish the tea and soak a while longer.

2. Heat packs are also good. I have an herbal neck wrap that I heat up in the microwave for about four minutes. I first wear it around my neck, then place it over my face and ears.

3. My latest discovery is the healing power of lavender essential oil. I put a little bit of it just under each nostril, then rub a little of it into my temples. Many smells will make migraines worse, but lavender is actually very helpful.

4. I have a vibrating massager that I use on my neck, forehead, and cheeks. After alternating between these areas several times, I use the massager in the area next to each eye.

5. For a serious migraine that has lasted longer than a few hours, I often find that the best thing is to make myself vomit. It's unpleasant, but many times it has instantly caused a lessening of the pain, plus it does wonders for the nausea.

6. I have also found that it sometimes helps to lay on my stomach with a bag of ice on my neck, right at the base of the skull. I lay this way until I cannot stand the cold anymore, then take a break for a minute or so, then repeat.

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"