Thursday, March 6, 2008

"My Bonnie" Has Broken My Body!

Ugg...my legs are so sore today that I am finding it unpleasant to do anything but sit. I played too many active games with my students yesterday, including "My Bonnie" (several times). "My Bonnie" is a great leg workout - you play/sing the song "My Bonnie," having everyone stand or sit whenever there is a word starting with "B" or "O." I had my second kindergarten class and two phonics classes do it, and the kids loved it. Loved it so much, in fact, that they begged to do it multiple times. Thus, my thighs are considering mutiny right now! Living on the fourth floor is not a good thing today!

My kindergartners were monsters today. They had way too much energy, and not much interest in learning, plus I am having a dickens of a time trying to teach the second class the concept of "this" and "that." It got very frustrating for me, especially owing to the language barrier. I managed not to take out my frustration on the kids, which was one small triumph. I'm going to spend a few hours online tonight and see if I can find some better methods for teaching kindy kids.

I had a major triumph yesterday in my last class, which features my most disobedient students. I got them to be almost silent! I also, I believe, have somehow earned their respect, which I suspect is why they listened when I asked them to be quiet. I had a difficult decision to make in the beginning of that class: two students did not do the homework that I assigned, even though it was short and simple. I was faced with the choice of either maintaining discipline or showing mercy. Discipline can earn respect, but sometimes mercy goes farther toward establishing trust and a better relationship. I chose to show mercy, although I explained that both students would be punished the next time. I think I made the right decision.

All in all, I have found so far that I like teaching. I think I'm doing well with most of my classes, but I do feel a bit inept with two of them. I guess I'll just have to sacrifice a bit more of my free time to hunting down new games and new methods. If I am going to be a teacher, then, by golly, I am going to be a good one.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

In response to the idiot who left a semi-literate rant as a comment on this post: You have been deleted; go spread your foolish propoganda elsewhere. And while you're at it, do us all a favor and learn how to write. That was the longest ramble of gobbledy-gook I have ever seen. It clearly came from a deranged mind. Get a life!

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"