Friday, September 12, 2008

The Hilarity of Games

My students are too funny! Here are some of the things they said (and did) today during the games I played with them:

E3-C
Today's game was "Life" (the board game). I taught it to the kids last Friday, and they have begged for it every day since then. They keep forgetting the name of the game, so they refer to it as "the payday game."

After the boys' car landed on the "Get Married" space, I gave them a little pink "female" peg for their car. They stuck it next to the "male" peg at first, but then a minute later stuck "her" in the very back of the car.
Me: "Boys, why is your wife in the backseat?"
Ray: "Because we fight and she hit us."

The boys' car landed on the space where you have to pay $5,000 per child for school. As they had 4 children, they were not pleased about the expense. Toby "solved" the problem by flipping over their car.
Toby: "Step-anie-Teacher, very sad. Car crash, my kids die. No school!"

E4-B
For this class, any game that involves reading, writing, and/or running is an instant hit, so I created a fast-paced writing game for them today. They were divided into two teams - boys vs. girls.

Ben found the spelling aspect of the game way too exciting and could not stop spelling the words aloud, which was annoying the other kids tremendously. Finally I told Ben, "If you spell out loud, boys will lose one point." The next time I called out a word, Bart hurriedly clapped his hand over Ben's mouth before he could say anything. Then, on the next word, Andy grabbed Ben's head and held his mouth shut for the next two rounds! Fortunately, it was all in fun and Ben was amused (otherwise I would have stopped them immediately).

E5-A
Today's game was "Apples to Apples," one of the favorite games among all my older classes. For those who haven't heard of this game, it involves matching noun cards with an adjective card. The best match wins.

The first green card (adjective) was "cute." Chris (bless that kid's heart) put in the red card (noun) that read "my teacher."

For the "happy" green card, Leon put in the "smoke" card.
Me: "Smoke?"
Leon: "Teacher, when my dad smoke, he is happy."

For the "tasty" card, Evan put in the "Big Bird" card.
Me: "Ummm, Evan, Big Bird is on a USA TV show. We don't eat Big Bird."
Evan: "Teacher! In USA Thanksgiving eat big bird!"
Me: (laughing) "That's a turkey!"
Evan: "Turkey is a big bird!"

The green card was "exciting," so Leon put in the "fire" card.
Leon: "Teacher, you touch fire and it is very exciting!"
Me: "No kidding!" (My family can vouch for this; I've had more burns than I care to recall.)

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"