Monday, April 19, 2010

Mommy-Doggie Date!

My fever dropped to 100 yesterday, I was finally able to keep down solid food, and it was a glorious sunny day outside.  So, Jasper and I went out on a "Mommy-doggie date"!

We first went to Petsmart to pick up food for my boy, since he stubbornly refused to eat the cheaper brand that I attempted to make him try.  In fact, he went on a stubborn three-day hunger strike over the new food.  Jasper greatly enjoyed walking around the store, particularly the toy aisle, where he carefully examined every single toy.  He found and fixated on a small rubber tire with a rope attached, which he promptly grabbed and carried around, refusing to let me take it away.  When I finally got the toy, Jasper started crying loudly while desperately trying to get it back.  We walked into the next aisle with him still whimpering.  I went back and checked the price tag, finding to my surprise that the toy was actually on clearance.  Apparently, my boy is a bargain-hunter!  Since it was so cheap (just over a dollar), and since I have had to throw out a few more of Jasper's older toys, I gave in and let him have it.  I also picked him up a fifty cent doggie candy bar, which is roughly the size of a Nestle Crunch bar.  Jasper gained a bit of attention from other customer's as he proudly toted his new toy out of the store, his jaunty little tail wagging merrily.  He then cuddled up with the toy once he got back into the car.

Next, we went to Chik-fil-a to pick up lunch: a chicken wrap for me and four chicken nuggets for Jasper, with water for both of us.  We took our lunch to the park, where we had a very enjoyable picnic.  Jasper has only had chicken nuggets once before, so he was a little unsure about them at first, but he quickly decided that they were delicious.  After lunch, we spent a good half hour playing with Jasper's frisbee.  It was rather comical, since the breeze kept flipping the frisbee over Jasper's head when he would retrieve it.  This frustrated him a bit, so he felt the need to growl at the frisbee and pounce on it each time that happened.  Before long, we had a small audience, who all agreed that Jasper was just about the cutest thing ever.  Though normally shy, Jasper basked in the attention, even condescending to let a few people pet him.

After the park, we headed home, where Jasper took a long nap, then spent the rest of the night playing with his new toy.  He discovered that he could grab hold of the rope and whip the tire around his head while growling ferociously.  Then, delighted with this game, he stepped it up a bit by doing all this while running from room to room, occasionally leaping onto various pieces of furniture.  When he tired of this, he found enjoyment in beating my leg with the tire, which actually hurt a bit!  I discouraged this new game, so he went back into games one and two.  After a few straight hours of such stimulating play, Jasper slept VERY soundly when bedtime rolled around.

Today I remembered the doggie candy bar, which I had forgotten to give Jasper yesterday.  He was a bit unsure of what to do with it at first, regarding it curiously while sniffing it carefully.  He growled at it as well, then apparently grew satisfied when it did nothing in return.  Since then, he has spent the past half hour traveling around the apartment, hiding and re-hiding the candy bar.  Each time that he notices me looking, he has to find a new spot for his treasure.  Apparently, I am not to be trusted.

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"