Sunday, January 31, 2010

Images of a Saturday

This is what Jasper and I saw when we walked outside this morning. Two days ago I was running laps in a short-sleeved shirt and no jacket.

Nope, not done yet. I decided last night that Albert, the "houseguest" who has been cluttering up my freezer for the past two months, needed to get cooked today to make room in the freezer (things were falling out every time I opened the door). I can't eat stuffing anymore, so I decided to stuff him with onions. I also coated his outside in a thin layer of olive oil, pepper, and garlic. I don't own a cooking dish large enough to hold a turkey, so he got cooked on a cookie sheet. I drained some of the drippings midway through his cooking, and it worked out well, with no spills in the oven.

View of the wretched snow from the conservatory. At the time of writing this post, we now have about a foot of it. Church will probably not happen tomorrow, since Virginians are terrified of snow.

This week's reading, with the exception of the large volume on the bottom of the stack (I just used that to look something up). No, I'm not kidding; grad school is murder (but strangely exhilarating at the same time).

Dismayed by the weather today, Jasper found solace in cuddling with his bedtime companion, "Spidey".

Nothing like some scented candles and a good jigsaw puzzle when you're snowed in, sick, and tired of reading about Napoleon. The atmosphere was made all the more pleasant by a stack of my favorite records, including my "Bullwinkle and Rocky" record.

Jasper kept gazing out the window, clearly perplexed by the return of that white stuff.

A lovely and delicious turkey, and it only took an hour longer than I had expected (Albert was a stubborn bird). The outside was nice and crunchy, while the inside was mouth-wateringly moist. The onions that I stuffed him with gave excellent flavor to the meat.

Now a large portion of the turkey has been turned into a delicious turkey noodle soup (even better than Mom's version), which will feed me for the rest of the week. It's the perfect thing for a sore throat. I mixed eight cups of water with a heaping tablespoon and a half of chicken soup base, added the drippings from the turkey, whole wheat noodles, and all of the dark meat. I also stirred in a finely minced white onion, some finely minced celery, chervil, black pepper, and several finely chopped shallots. The result is a soothing and heavenly soup that is still healthy.

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"