Saturday, January 23, 2010

Slowly, but Surely Getting Fitter

Yesterday, I managed to do 96 sit-ups (not in two minutes, though) and 7 push-ups (without touching my chest to the ground). It's not happening overnight, but I am definitely getting into much better shape. So confident am I about my fitness regime, that I decided to sign up for a 5K run on February 20th. It's being hosted by Liberty, and one of my cadres emailed me about the opportunity, since several cadets will be doing it. I figured that at the rate I'm going, I should be able to run two miles of it and walk the remaining mile by then - or who knows, maybe I'll actually be able to run a full three miles by then.

My appointment to get my body fat measured was postponed until next Wednesday (praise God!), so I have a few more days to get my measurements down more. I have been doing some form of workout almost every day. Last night, I decided to sign up for the Presidential Fitness Challenge to further motivate myself (it's something you can do individually, and it only lasts for six weeks - at the end, you get a certificate).

I am noticing quite a few changes in my body now that I have been living differently for almost three weeks:
1. The protruding tummy is pretty much gone.
2. My upper legs don't jiggle merrily as I walk; rather, they and my lower legs are becoming hard and solid.
3. I have higher endurance, able now to push myself much more.
4. I can concentrate better.
5. My upper body is much stronger - four weeks ago, I couldn't do more than one push-up without my chest touching the ground in-between. Now I am up to seven.
6. My moods, even in the midst of stress, are brighter and more optimistic.
7. I sleep better.
8. My appetite is smaller.
9. I have no cravings for soda - in fact, I hardly drink it anymore.
10. Still no migraines yet in 2010!!!!!!! This is the longest I have gone without a migraine since the age of 12, when I first started getting the dreadful things.

So, maybe a few other people should take a cue and hop on the fitness bandwagon! It is well-worth any sacrifice, and is certainly also worth the work. Just remember, you get out of it what you put into it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

great advice and inspiration! kudos to you on this challenge.

I found that once i got into the routine of healthy eating and exercise and made a committed lifestyle change, I wondered what took me so long to start in the first place. As you said, the benefits far outweigh any justification for not starting. And once you start, you can't find any good reason to go back to the old lifestyle. Also, my husband and i are on the same page now too, and it keeps us motivated.

I put my trust in you being able to run that three miles at the end of Feb.!

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"