Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Background Check Headache Continues

Who would have thought something so seemingly easy could be so complicated? All I need is a national background check. Easy to acquire? I should say not!

I was told by the agency that the FBI has a 28-week wait owing to a backlog, so they gave me the name of another organization to use. I called them two days ago, was put on hold, then was transferred to someone's voicemail. I left a message and was never called back. Mom told me to try the state police post. I called them, was put on hold, and then was told that they only do state checks, not national.

Yesterday I called the place the agency recommended again. A rather rude woman informed me that they have just stopped doing checks for private individuals. My coworker told me about a website she used to get a check for a job. I went there and found out they only do state checks. Feeling desperate, I figured that at least this way I'd have something. Ten dollars later I had four copies of my Michigan police check.

Then I called the Detroit FBI post for info about how to get a check done. I was put on hold, transferred, put on hold again, and then told to call the FBI headquarters. I called them, was put on hold, then got transferred from person to person until they finally connected me with customer service. The haughty woman in customer service told me to go online for the directions (I had already tried this, but couldn't find them). Sighing impatiently, she directed me step by step. The only good that came out of the call was that she told me the backlog has cleared, and the wait is now only 4-6 weeks. That cuts pretty close, but it's feasable at least.

The FBI site instructed me to get my fingerprints on a card from a police post. I called the Paw Paw post today, only to be (surprise!) informed that they no longer do fingerprints for background checks. They gave me another number to call, for a company that does fingerprints for people. I called the company and was told to set up an appointment online. I went online and discovered that since I lacked an agency #, I couldn't set up an appointment online. I called the company back and, after holding again, was finally helped. The appointment is for tomorrow. So, assuming I'm not lacking some top-secret documents that I don't know I need, I should have my prints tomorrow and be able to mail in my request to the FBI.

Whew! No wonder nothing ever gets done in this country!

2 comments:

Point7Q said...

I admit it! I've organized a vast nation-wide conspiracy to keep you from getting your background check!

Matthew Royal said...

Wow, Stephanie. I admire your perseverance! When I got fingerprinted, all it took was a quick and easy trip to the local jail. They had a machine that optically scanned the finger and printed it out on a card. No messy ink to deal with!

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"