Friday, December 14, 2007

Fingerprints

Despite being so sick that I was unable to go to work, I still made it to my fingerprinting appointment today (I would have crawled if I'd had too). The process was surprisingly easy; I walked right in, the guy was friendly, and the actual fingerprinting took very little time. So now I have the fingerprint card for the FBI. I just need a certified check for $18.00 and a good cover letter explaining what I need and why. As I am still miserable and typing is rather difficult right now (I keep making stupid typos), I think I'll wait until tomorrow to write the letter.

After getting fingerprinted, I stopped by World Market and purchased a pair of chopsticks. Since I'll be seeing a lot of these in Korea, I figure I'd better learn how to use them now. I'd rather embarrass myself at home than in a foreign country. I've got over half the amount of money I wanted (minimum) to take over with me saved up now! It feels so great just knowing that I am making progress toward going. It's really happening, and I am really going to be in Asia, living my dream, in just nine weeks. Somebody needs to pinch me!

I will confess that I am very nervous and scared, in addition to being excited beyond belief. I am giving up so much for this! I am also aware of the many hardships I will face, including homesickness, strange food, difficult weather, cockroaches, and a whole different way of life. But in a way, the hardships are part of the appeal. Every obstacle I overcome in life helps mold and shape me into a better, stronger person. It's in climbing mountains that we get the best views, after all. I just want everyone to know that yes, I am well aware of what I'm giving up and I have a rough idea of what I'll face. I also know that it's all worth it. This is an opportunity beyond any I have ever been given. God has been very good to me.

4 comments:

Matthew Royal said...

I just looked at your Blogger.com profile, and it says that you were born in the year of... the rat! It's your destiny, Stephanie. As soon as you get to South Korea, find a Buddha!

Stephanie said...

Matthew....

Matthew Royal said...

Yes?

0:) <-- Angelic face

Stephanie said...

Maybe for your birthday, the rat could condescend to make a photo appearance. Since you're so crazy about it. It does take effort though. I have to feel it.

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"