Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Step Towards the Future

Well, I did it: today I sent in my application for a TEFL intensive (four week) course. If my application is accepted, this will give me certification, as well as a great deal of training in better teaching methods. The course I want to take will give me actual classroom experience, as opposed to one of the cheaper online courses which would not add in any way to my experience. I could, of course, continue to get employment overseas without the certification, but with it I can get better jobs, and more of them. Plus, if I ever decide to move back to the US, it would help me secure employment there.

Originally I was planning to apply for the course held in Florence, but then I found out I could take one in Ios (a Greek island), which totally pushed Florence aside. For my second choice, I decided on Alexandria, Egypt. It would be every bit as amazing as Florence, plus it would cost about five hundred dollars less. The session I want to get into is in May of 2009. I figured I should apply now, so I can have plenty of time in advance for saving the money I need and booking my airline tickets. Also, if I get accepted, I'll be able to better plan my wanderings after my contract is completed here in Korea. I think my idea of touring Europe for the month before the TEFL course is a sound one, as I can fulfill a dream while saving a bit on airfare.

I'm feeling a bit better now, having spent most of the day medicated and sleeping. I found honey water for sale yesterday and bought a bottle to try. It was quite good, and very soothing for my throat. I think I'll pick up some more after I teach my kindergarten classes tomorrow. I also discovered that they sell liquid vitamin C here, which also doesn't taste half bad. Maybe I can avoid going to a doctor after all!

I got some great news from home earlier today: my car is back at the dealer and officially no longer mine! As much as I liked that car, I love the freedom of no longer owning a car. No more getting fleeced paying for insurance, no more overpriced gas, no more stress from stupid drivers. I hope I can get well into my thirties before I ever have to own a car again.

I had a bit of fun when talking to my parents. I decided to spring the news on them that I'm considering employment in Taiwan or Vietnam next (although Europe is still under consideration, of course). My poor mother was unable to speak for a moment! I don't think she likes the idea of me living in Vietnam! It's her own fault though; she and Dad raised me to be independent and allowed me to play with atlases from an early age. They should have realized they were planting the seeds of wanderlust.

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"