Friday, April 25, 2008

This Is Why I Go to Work Eagerly Every Day

The kindergarten field trip to Gyeongju World went well today. As has been the case on previous field trips, the kids behaved well and had a blast. I went on a few rides with them, and it made me really want kids of my own (again). I can't wait to raise my own little rollarcoaster fanatics (don't worry Mom, it's not happening for a few more years yet)! It was so adorable seeing their little faces light up as they climbed into the cars, or hearing them laughing as the rides moved. Few things are as joyous to see as children enjoying themselves.

We had a picnic lunch at the amusement park. Of course, kimbap was on the menu. It is the perfect picnic food, as it travels well, tastes good, doesn't need a cooler, and isn't messy. In addition to the kimbap, there was fruit, a tasty noodle dish that Angel (the Korean kindergarten teacher) made, and some dainty little sandwiches. As we were enjoying our meal, we watched a show. There were Chinese dancers, acrobats, a magician, tightrope walkers, and clowns. As I watched the show with a stomach full of goodies and an adorable, affectionate child on my lap, I found it hard to believe that this is really my job. How lucky can one person be?

On the way back to school, Cate stopped to buy ice cream treats for the kids and us teachers. After helping unload kids and backpacks, I turned to leave. Suddenly, I was apprehended by three small children (Issac, Liz, and Eddy) clutching my legs and shouting "No teacher! No go! Teacher stay!" It took some work to get free from them, and I must confess, I kind of wished that it wasn't time for me to go.

The afternoon classes all went well today, too. Since it was Friday, it was game day, which always results in happy children. Owing to a school picnic, my E2-A class only had four students today (Tim, Brian, Ricky, and John), so I was able to do a more complicated game with them than usual. I missed the other kids in that class (the girls are all really sweet), but it was nice to be able to bond a little extra with four of the boys. They are bright kids, and have very engaging personalities. I was thrilled when Tim tied for first place in the game. He's been struggling a bit lately, so I really wanted to see him do well for a change.

E5-A (my last class of the day) had another test I needed to administer today, and I was delighted to be able to give out seven 100% grades (out of eight students). I was so thrilled with them for doing well today, on top of the great job they did on their test yesterday, that I gave them each a treat after their test. We had a few minutes left of class, so I was able to play a short game with them, too. Few things feel as great as when I get to see kids that I have taught excel.

No comments:

"Passage—immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins! Away, O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers—haul out—shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!"

~Walt Whitman, "Passage to India"